Austrian president opens Salzburg festival
Austrian President Heinz Fischer opened the 91st annual Salzburg Summer Festival Wednesday, an unmissable event for lovers of opera, classical music and theatre.
The first performances will include Claus Guth's production of Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro" Wednesday evening.
Among the top names performing at the festival will be French conductor Pierre Boulez and Chinese pianist Lang Lang.
The festival will also include a tribute to Italian conduct Riccardo Muti, a regular performer at the festival.
He will conduct the Vienna Philharmonic 40 years after he first performed at the festival with the same orchestra.
Theatre productions will include a daunting production of Goethe's "Faust" by Germany's Nicolas Stemann: it will run to seven hours, without intermissions.
There will be 213 different performances until the end of August with tickets costing as much as 370 euros (535 dollars).
Arts & Ents blogs
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
The Photography Blog: ‘Control Order House’ by Edmund Clark – Photographing our response to terrorism
Recent events in Boston have served as a painful reminder of the threat posed by terrorism. In Contr...
I’ve not heard many bands that had quite the same kick as Pendulum did. Their unbelievable fusion of...
- 1 The ‘Beverly Hills’ of Surrey pays more income tax than big cities of the North
- 2 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 3 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 4 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 5 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.