Friday 02 February 1996
Yet, beyond the great lady's assertion that she has never been concerned with politics, Cathy Wearing's radio portrait of Schwarzkopf, Her Master's Voice (to be broadcast on R3 this Sunday at 5.45pm), contains not a whiff of her reported fury over the book. Or does it? In fact, Wearing had wisely left the key question until last. The reply was a half-hour tirade so virulent that any snatch of it would, says Wearing, have "completely unbalanced the programme".
"The striking thing was that throughout the interview she had constantly alluded to the consequences of her party membership. It was a stream of consciousness which - if you didn't know what she was talking about - would have made no sense. But I did know what she was talking about: she didn't want to be labelled a Nazi. She complained about 'jealous colleagues' impeding her career in America, but it wasn't that at all. It was simply people - some of whom had fled the Nazis - protesting at her wartime associations."
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >