Kurt Cobain's death: 17 years on
Tuesday 05 April 2011
It's 17 years now since the death of one of the most iconic frontmen guitar music has ever produced. We look back at some of our key coverage of the life and death of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain
"At midnight on Friday, after the violence in Rwanda and before the end of the IRA ceasefire, a vaguely disdainful Radio 5 newsreader announces the death of Kurt Cobain."
"Noone more exactly personified America's 'slacker' generation than Kurt Cobain, Nirvana's leader and songwriter."
"He was the voice of Generation X, speaking to disaffected youth with the lyricism of grunge music. Now, 14 years after his suicide, a new film – in his own words – gives fresh insight into the life and death of Nirvana's tortured frontman Kurt Cobain."
"He would have hit one of life's milestones this week. But, 13 years after his death, what is his true legacy?"
"With his ripped jeans, lank hair and sinewy, tortured frame, Kurt Cobain is not your average superhero."
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services