The Barometer: Big Star; Chew Lips; Here We Go Magic; Meth - Ghost - Rae; Pimary 1; Suede
What's hot on our playlist
Big Star "September Gurls"
Melodic rock gem with typically thoughtful lyrics from the late Alex Chilton, a cult hero who inspired Wilco, Primal Scream, REM and Teenage Fanclub.
Chew Lips "Karen"
One of the British acts causing the most hype at SXSW festival, this tender indie-pop song is their new single.
Here We Go Magic "Collector"
From their new LP, the Brooklyn band channel propulsive krautrock and 1980s indie rock to great effect.
Meth – Ghost – Rae "Dangerous"
The latest from the trio's forthcoming album "Wu-Massacre" isn't their most original effort but it's still a welcome blast of Wu-Tang-patented hip-hop.
Primary 1 "The Blues" (featuring Nina Persson)
UK producer Joe Flory teams up with the Cardigans singer for a melancholy dose of synth-pop.
Suede "The Wild Ones"
An emotional peak in the Brit-pop band's thrilling first gig for seven years.
Listen to this week's free playlist on Spotify at independent.co.uk/mixtape
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
Ray Davies' Sunny Afternoon scoops the most awardsTheatre
Grace DentChannel 4 show proves there's no app for happiness
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling