The Playlist:Black Manila / Melvins / Ciara
The songs that are hot on our playlist this week
Shake That Thing
One of the best guitar bands in London, Black Manila's latest RIP Records released single forms the link between snotty Atlanta garage punk and classic British song writing.
Put out by Scion, Melvins appear to be adopting a highly experimental approach to songwriting on recent releases. That's leading to some pretty interesting new sounds.
Ciara ft Nicki Minaj
Minaj has been criticised for abandoning her complex rap technique on recent singles, but on Ciara's new track she is back to her intricate best.
This Australian three-piece recently relocated to London, stating their intentions with a great set at Field Day last weekend. This track, their debut single, is a well-structured insight into Dark Bells' potential.
musicReview: Culture Club performs live for first time in 12 years
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year