Win VIP Womad tickets
Britain's best world music festival takes place this month – and we've got 50 pairs of tickets to give away. Sound good? Then tackle our quiz...
Saturday 05 July 2008
It's one of the great music events of the year – and you could be there if you can answer these 15 questions. Email your entry to
email@example.com by Wednesday night – the winners will be chosen at random from the best responses.
Each pair of VIP tickets, worth £250, will give you access to the festival on 25-27 July – and allow you to mingle with the stars in the backstage bar. Two children, aged 13 or under, can accompany each adult for free.
Even if you don't win, you can get a 15 per cent discount at www.independent.co.uk/womad. And 25 names will be drawn out of a hat and given a pair of tickets to a private event hosted by Womad's founder Peter Gabriel, including a tour of his Real World Studios, plus an exclusive concert by new sensations Dengue Fever.
1) What does Womad stand for?
2) What is the connection between Genesis and Womad?
3) Toumani Diabaté is one of the stars of this year's Womad. What instrument does he play?
4) Where is Tony Allen from?
5) And which Blur song mentions Tony Allen?
6) Name the reggae star who went from The Equals to Electric Avenue?
7) How many seconds were there on Youssou N'Dour's biggest hit (with Neneh Cherry)?
8) Another band playing Womad this year is Dengue Fever. Where is their lead singer originally from?
9) Which song by The Clash was a global hit when sung in Arabic by Rachid Taha?
10) What instrument does Bassekou Kouyate play?
11) Who met at Bamako's Institute for the Young Blind and were originally known as The Blind Couple of Mali?
12) She comes from County Clare, is known as the "Queen of the Squeezebox" and has played with Sinéad O'Connor and members of U2. Who is she?
13) Which BBC DJ discovered the early albums of Ali Farke Touré in a bargain bin, helping to launch his global career?
14) Sa DingDing has been compared to Björk, plays the zheng and won a World Music Award this year. Which country is she from?
15) Which Brazilian singer and actor played Knockout Ned in City of God and performed several songs by David Bowie in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou?
Terms & Conditions: Holders of Weekend tickets are only permitted to enter the campsite and festival arena after 8am on Friday 25 July. There is a £25 charge for all campervans using the campsite. Two children aged 13 and under can come free with an adult ticket holder. Entries must be received by midnight Thursday 10 July 2008. Winners will be picked at random and notified by telephone or email on 11 July. The Editor's decision is final. We do not offer refunds on the basis of inclement weather. Lost tickets and wristbands will not be replaced. Line-up is subject to change. Only one entry per household. See www.independent.co.uk/legal for standard Independent terms and conditions. No purchase necessary
Arts & Ents blogs
St Patrick’s Day 2014: The worst Irish accents in film history
Under The Skin, film review: Scarlett Johansson is full-blooded as femme fatale alien
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your scrolling
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli wants more male nudity in the show
Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Exclusive: World’s most pristine waters are polluted by US Navy human waste
- 3 Nemanja Matic interview: My family were in tears when we left Lisbon
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Jet ‘hijacking’ began soon after take-off
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Facebook links are profiting hackers