Gary Louris, Vagabonds
It’s hard to believe that this is Gary Louris’s first solo album, so long has he been a country-rock cornerstone of The Jayhawks and “alt.indie supergroup” Golden Smog.
But it’s been worth the wait, its 10 songs as good as any he’s written, and the production – by Black Crowes singer Chris Robinson – perfectly measured to fit the overall theme of searching.
There’s the careworn but proud resignation of songs like “We’ll Get By” and the troubadour tribute “Vagabonds”, while the massed backing vocals of the Laurel Canyon Family Choir (ie, Gary’s Hollywood chums) bring a suitably roseate glow to “She Only Calls Me On Sundays”.
Intimate and intelligent, it’s the modern equivalent of ex-Byrd Gene Clark’s acclaimed solo works.
For a sample track from Vagabonds just click on the link below:
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832 789.
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Kim Sears responds to swearing controversy with 'parental advisory' T-shirt at Andy Murray's Australian Open final
Daniel Radcliffe deemed 'not marketable' without his English accent
Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
As Better Call Saul launches, here are the other spin-off shows we need to see
Game of Thrones season 5 trailer: The first full-length look is here
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign