Gary Louris, Vagabonds
It’s hard to believe that this is Gary Louris’s first solo album, so long has he been a country-rock cornerstone of The Jayhawks and “alt.indie supergroup” Golden Smog.
But it’s been worth the wait, its 10 songs as good as any he’s written, and the production – by Black Crowes singer Chris Robinson – perfectly measured to fit the overall theme of searching.
There’s the careworn but proud resignation of songs like “We’ll Get By” and the troubadour tribute “Vagabonds”, while the massed backing vocals of the Laurel Canyon Family Choir (ie, Gary’s Hollywood chums) bring a suitably roseate glow to “She Only Calls Me On Sundays”.
Intimate and intelligent, it’s the modern equivalent of ex-Byrd Gene Clark’s acclaimed solo works.
For a sample track from Vagabonds just click on the link below:
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832 789.
Grace Dent on TV The Secret Life of the Pub is sexist, ageist and a breath of fresh air
Art Megumi Igarashi criticises Japan's 'backwards' attitude to women's sexual expression
tv Singer could become the most unlikely star of Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove