The Duke Spirit, Neptune
Label: You Are Here
What with the ongoing wave of hugely successful homegrown soul divas, it’s been an eternity since we were last blessed with an authentic rock-chick personality.
But The Duke Spirit’s Liela Moss may change that, possessing not just a powerful set of pipes but also the spirit to duke it out (so to speak) with a rock band playing full-tilt at full volume.
There’s a stern presence to her delivery of songs such as “The Step And The Walk”, and particularly the single “Send A Little Love Token”; and with her odd dialect twist – part-Cockney, part- European – she sounds at times like a bluesier Siouxsie.
Fortunately, she’s acquired a band to match her personality, equally adept at the Nirvana- esque intimacy of “Wooden Heart” and the melancholy pop of “My Sunken Treasure”.
To order any CD previewed here, call the Independent Music Service on 01634 832 789.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Meet the contestants
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >