Azerbaijan duo wins Eurovision
Sunday 15 May 2011
They may never win the football World Cup or triumph at the top of the medal table at the Olympics, but they were celebrating in Baku last night as Azerbaijan was crowned winner of the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time – finishing well clear of the United Kingdom and Ireland entries.
British boy band Blue and Jedward, the Irish twins who came sixth in the X-Factor, watched as phone voting left them lagging behind in the contest held in Dusseldorf. The winning song was a theatrical duet called "Running Scared" sung by Eldar and Nigar. One half of the duo, Nikki Jamal, lives in north London. Azerbaijan only started competing in Eurovision in 2008, but as winners will host the contest next year. Blue finished eleventh.
Film Leonardo DiCaprio hunts Tom Hardy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Top Gear team of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May officially heading to Amazon Prime for new car show
- 2 Stuart Baggs: Apprentice star 'The Brand' found dead aged 27
- 3 How to cancel Amazon Prime: after Top Gear hiring, how to leave premium service
- 4 Tesco scraps 'unexpected item in the bagging area' as self-checkouts switch to less 'frustrating' audio
- 5 Living in Spain and commuting to London 'cheaper than actually working in London'
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
While we fixate on Calais, the Government is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: For desperate migrants it is 'England or death' as they brave dogs, riot police and speeding trains