British music stars top 2012 album charts
Wednesday 02 January 2013
Music fans are buying British - with the three top-selling albums of the year all produced by home-grown talent.
Emeli Sande's debut album, Our Version Of Events, was the biggest seller with 1.4 million copies sold in 2012, according to figures from the Official Charts Company.
Adele's 21 - a huge hit when it was first released in 2011 - and + by Ed Sheeran took the next two spots with top 10 entries for other UK acts including One Direction's Up All Night, Mumford & Sons' Babel and Olly Murs's Right Place Right Time.
Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto was also in the top 10.
The figures show music fans streamed audio tracks more than 3.7 billion times during 2012 with "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye featuring Kimbra, "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen and "Titanium" by David Guetta featuring Sia the three most-streamed tracks of the year.
Sales of digital albums rose 14.8% to 30.5 million, although sales of albums on CD declined 19.5% year-on-year to 69.4 million.
Despite the advance of digital, CDs still accounted for more than two-thirds (69.1%) of total sales compared to a 30.4% share for digital albums and 0.4% for vinyl.
Digital dominated the singles market, which saw a 6% sales increase to 188.6 million in 2012, with the overwhelming majority (99.6%) being sold digitally.
Tony Wadsworth, chairman of trade body the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), said: "British artists continue to resonate strongly with music fans in their home territory, with albums by Emeli Sande, Adele and Ed Sheeran topping the end-of-year charts.
"The domestic success of albums from Mumford & Sons and One Direction has been replicated abroad - both British acts have achieved massive success in the US."
The Official Charts Company Top 10 Best-Selling Albums of 2012
1. Our Version Of Events - Emeli Sande
2. 21 - Adele
3. +- Ed Sheeran
4. Born To Die - Lana Del Rey
5. Up All Night - One Direction
6. Babel- Mumford & Sons
7. Right Place Right Time - Olly Murs
8. Christmas - Michael Buble
9. Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay
10. Unapologetic - Rihanna
The Official Charts Company Top 10 Best-Selling Singles of 2012
1. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye ft Kimbra
2. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen
3. We Are Young - Fun ft. Janelle Monae
4. Titanium - David Guetta ft Sia
5. Impossible - James Arthur
6. Gangnam Style - Psy
7. Starships - Nicki Minaj
8. Domino - Jessie J
9. Payphone - Maroon 5 ft Wiz Khalifa
10. Wild Ones - Flo Rida ft Sia
film Sex scene trailer sees a shirtless Jamie Dornan turn up the heat
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Rashida Jones speaks out against male-centric porn saying 'women should have sex and feel good about it'
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election