British music stars top 2012 album charts
Wednesday 02 January 2013
Music fans are buying British - with the three top-selling albums of the year all produced by home-grown talent.
Emeli Sande's debut album, Our Version Of Events, was the biggest seller with 1.4 million copies sold in 2012, according to figures from the Official Charts Company.
Adele's 21 - a huge hit when it was first released in 2011 - and + by Ed Sheeran took the next two spots with top 10 entries for other UK acts including One Direction's Up All Night, Mumford & Sons' Babel and Olly Murs's Right Place Right Time.
Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto was also in the top 10.
The figures show music fans streamed audio tracks more than 3.7 billion times during 2012 with "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye featuring Kimbra, "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen and "Titanium" by David Guetta featuring Sia the three most-streamed tracks of the year.
Sales of digital albums rose 14.8% to 30.5 million, although sales of albums on CD declined 19.5% year-on-year to 69.4 million.
Despite the advance of digital, CDs still accounted for more than two-thirds (69.1%) of total sales compared to a 30.4% share for digital albums and 0.4% for vinyl.
Digital dominated the singles market, which saw a 6% sales increase to 188.6 million in 2012, with the overwhelming majority (99.6%) being sold digitally.
Tony Wadsworth, chairman of trade body the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), said: "British artists continue to resonate strongly with music fans in their home territory, with albums by Emeli Sande, Adele and Ed Sheeran topping the end-of-year charts.
"The domestic success of albums from Mumford & Sons and One Direction has been replicated abroad - both British acts have achieved massive success in the US."
The Official Charts Company Top 10 Best-Selling Albums of 2012
1. Our Version Of Events - Emeli Sande
2. 21 - Adele
3. +- Ed Sheeran
4. Born To Die - Lana Del Rey
5. Up All Night - One Direction
6. Babel- Mumford & Sons
7. Right Place Right Time - Olly Murs
8. Christmas - Michael Buble
9. Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay
10. Unapologetic - Rihanna
The Official Charts Company Top 10 Best-Selling Singles of 2012
1. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye ft Kimbra
2. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen
3. We Are Young - Fun ft. Janelle Monae
4. Titanium - David Guetta ft Sia
5. Impossible - James Arthur
6. Gangnam Style - Psy
7. Starships - Nicki Minaj
8. Domino - Jessie J
9. Payphone - Maroon 5 ft Wiz Khalifa
10. Wild Ones - Flo Rida ft Sia
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off embroiled in Baked Alaska 'sabotage' scandal
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >