Gary Barlow offers to light up Blackpool after Danny O'Donoghue pulls out
Thursday 29 August 2013
X Factor judge Gary Barlow has offered to step in and perform at the turning on of the Blackpool Illuminations after The Voice star Danny O'Donoghue and his band pulled out.
The Take That frontman told fans on Twitter he would help out if organisers "write a cheque to Children in Need".
Chatshow host Jonathan Ross is switching on the famous lights tomorrow night and told Barlow: "They need someone to sing. Shall we finally unveil our version of the Pet Shop Boys? The Chip Shop Boys has a ring to it."
Barlow, who said he was "rounding up" his band, told fans he would know by midday if the performance could go ahead.
O'Donoghue and Irish rockers The Script said they pulled out of the concert because of "a family matter".
Leader of Blackpool Council Simon Blackburn said: "Marketing Blackpool and Blackpool Council are working very hard to make sure that, in typical Blackpool style, the show will go on and a top quality replacement is found.
"We're doing all we can to make sure it will be as good a show as possible and as many people as possible are able to attend."
Other performers over the weekend include Eliza Doolittle and pop veterans Madness.
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Bob Dylan's 'going electric' guitar from Newport Folk Festival sells for nearly $1m
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >