Oasis in running for top music gong despite split
Thursday 17 September 2009
They may be gone but they are not forgotten - recently-split Oasis are in the running for the title of world's best act at a top music awards bash.
The band, whose guitarist Noel Gallagher quit last month, have been shortlisted for the "best act in the world today" gong at the Q Awards, against Kings Of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay and Muse.
Oasis will also compete for the best live act award at the event next month, against acts like U2, Blur and Take That.
Noel and brother Liam have been invited to the event, organised by Q magazine at the Grosvenor House Hotel, but they have both kept a low profile since their increasing rift led to Noel quitting just moments before a gig in Paris.
A trio of acts lead the field with three nominations each - Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys and Florence & The Machine. U2, Dizzee Rascal and Lady GaGa are among the acts with a pair of mentions on the shortlist.
Q's editor-in-chief Paul Rees said: "The Q Awards prides itself on honouring the best popular music of the year and the 2009 vintage is no exception. Once again the nominations prove that great music continues to be made across a broad range of styles."
Here are the nominations for this years' awards - officially called the Q Awards with Russian Standard Vodka - which will be handed over on 26 October:
* Best new act - White Lies; Friendly Fires; Empire Of The Sun; Passion Pit; The Dead Weather.
* Breakthrough artist - Florence & The Machine; Lady GaGa; La Roux; Mr Hudson; Pixie Lott.
* Best track - Kasabian, Fire; Muse, Uprising; Arctic Monkeys, Crying Lightning; Dizzee Rascal, Bonkers; Noisettes, Never Forget You; Lily Allen, The Fear.
* Best video - The Dead Weather, Treat Me Like Your Mother; Dizzee Rascal, Holiday; Florence & The Machine, Drumming Song; Mika, We Are Golden; Lady GaGa, Just Dance.
* Best live act - The Prodigy; U2; Oasis; Kasabian; Arctic Monkeys; Blur; Take That.
* Best album - Arctic Monkeys, Humbug; U2, No Line On The Horizon; Florence & The Machine, Lungs; The Prodigy, Invaders Must Die; Kasabian, West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum.
* Best act in the world today - Kings Of Leon; Arctic Monkeys; Oasis; Coldplay; Muse.
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
'Rebel without a Cause', 'East of Eden' and 'Giant' re-released
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Kylie Minogue quits The Voice UK
Review: Half of A Yellow Sun
Arts & Ents blogs
Game of Thrones season 4, episode 2, TV review: 'Purple Wedding' shock for viewers as King Joffrey marries Margaery Tyrell
The best movies on Netflix: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones season 4 episode 2 breaks torrent record as more fans watch online
King Joffrey: Jack Gleeson retires from acting after season 4 Game of Thrones
Game of Thrones season 4 episode 2 sees fans jubilant over King Joffrey's 'Purple Wedding'
David Cameron: 'Jesus invented the Big Society – I'm just continuing God's work'
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Ukip and Nigel Farage on the up over Maria Miller furore and 'Sexminster' culture
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 1 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 2 The best movies on Netflix: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 What's in the safe? Man live-photographs cracking of mysterious locked box on Reddit
- 5 Drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline bribed doctors to boost sales, says whistleblower