Oasis in running for top music gong despite split
Thursday 17 September 2009
They may be gone but they are not forgotten - recently-split Oasis are in the running for the title of world's best act at a top music awards bash.
The band, whose guitarist Noel Gallagher quit last month, have been shortlisted for the "best act in the world today" gong at the Q Awards, against Kings Of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Coldplay and Muse.
Oasis will also compete for the best live act award at the event next month, against acts like U2, Blur and Take That.
Noel and brother Liam have been invited to the event, organised by Q magazine at the Grosvenor House Hotel, but they have both kept a low profile since their increasing rift led to Noel quitting just moments before a gig in Paris.
A trio of acts lead the field with three nominations each - Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys and Florence & The Machine. U2, Dizzee Rascal and Lady GaGa are among the acts with a pair of mentions on the shortlist.
Q's editor-in-chief Paul Rees said: "The Q Awards prides itself on honouring the best popular music of the year and the 2009 vintage is no exception. Once again the nominations prove that great music continues to be made across a broad range of styles."
Here are the nominations for this years' awards - officially called the Q Awards with Russian Standard Vodka - which will be handed over on 26 October:
* Best new act - White Lies; Friendly Fires; Empire Of The Sun; Passion Pit; The Dead Weather.
* Breakthrough artist - Florence & The Machine; Lady GaGa; La Roux; Mr Hudson; Pixie Lott.
* Best track - Kasabian, Fire; Muse, Uprising; Arctic Monkeys, Crying Lightning; Dizzee Rascal, Bonkers; Noisettes, Never Forget You; Lily Allen, The Fear.
* Best video - The Dead Weather, Treat Me Like Your Mother; Dizzee Rascal, Holiday; Florence & The Machine, Drumming Song; Mika, We Are Golden; Lady GaGa, Just Dance.
* Best live act - The Prodigy; U2; Oasis; Kasabian; Arctic Monkeys; Blur; Take That.
* Best album - Arctic Monkeys, Humbug; U2, No Line On The Horizon; Florence & The Machine, Lungs; The Prodigy, Invaders Must Die; Kasabian, West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum.
* Best act in the world today - Kings Of Leon; Arctic Monkeys; Oasis; Coldplay; Muse.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientists who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Meet Thea, Norway's 12-year-old child bride
- 5 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Alfred Hitchcock's unseen Holocaust documentary to be screened
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'