Observations: Popera act Amore are graduating to the big time
Saturday 02 June 2012
Charlotte Church and Katherine Jenkins have done wonders in changing classical music's reputation as stuffy. But will British operatic group Amore succeed in putting the fun back in opera and be the next big opera band?
The four Royal College of Music graduates have just released their debut album, Stand Together, which is full of favourites such as "Jerusalem", "Abide with Me" and "Amazing Grace".
Still in their early twenties, baritone Peter Braithwaite, tenor David Webb, mezzo soprano Victoria Gray and soprano Monica McGhee, frolic in the gardens of a stately home in the video for their first single, "Brindisi".
They were signed after a tutor from their music college overheard Warner Music executives in their local Starbucks discussing putting together a British operatic group. Amore will perform on BBC1's Songs of Praise Jubilee special and The Diamond Jubilee Thames Pageant tomorrow.
'Stand Together' is out now
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >