Three injured as fire breaks out at One Direction star Liam Payne's London flat
Wednesday 04 September 2013
A fire reportedly broke out at the London residence of a One Direction band member this week, leaving three guests injured.
The blaze took place on the balcony of Liam Payne’s Docklands apartment block on Monday night, according to reports.
An unnamed male friend of Payne’s is alleged to have tried to re-fuel an outside heater on the terrace of the pop star’s flat.
But something went wrong and the patio heater is alleged to have exploded, setting both the friend and Payne’s patio alight.
An ambulance and fire brigade reportedly attended the scene at 9.45pm on Monday night.
Payne, 20, who was reportedly not present when the fire broke out, accompanied his friend in the ambulance.
The worst affected victim is said to have suffered 20 per cent burns to his hands and face.
Another man and a woman are said to have suffered minor burns to their hands.
A source told the Mirror: “[Liam’s] friend went to fill up the gas for a heating lamp, there was some sort of accident and the whole balcony went up in flames.”
Firefighters confirmed via Twitter that six engines from East London attended the scene on Monday.
“Firefighters worked quickly and professionally to get the fire under control as quickly as possible. About 30 people left the building before we arrived and were not injured,” fire service spokesperson Laurie Kenny said.
“Two of the occupants had superficial burns to their hands and the third had burns to his hands and face. All three have been taken to hospital.”
None of the other One Direction bandmembers are believed to have been present. The fivesome have recently been promoting their new documentary, This Is Us, which topped both the UK and US box offices last weekend.
Teenage kicks: ‘One Direction – This Is Us’
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 2 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 3 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 4 Adam Levine's biggest fan had a panic attack upon meeting him, so the singer laid down on the floor to get a photo with him
- 5 Why you're almost certainly more like your father than your mother
Fifty Shades of Grey banned by Indian censors despite sex scenes being edited out
The Great Comic Relief Bake Off, TV review: Alexa Chung impresses, but Chris Moyles makes Paul Hollywood gag
Fifty Shades of Grey movie shows first sex scene 'after 40 minutes'
Seth Rogan's pot fumes delay hacked Sony boss’s office move
India's Daughter: BBC Four documentary provokes outrage on Twitter
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin