Album: Deadmau5, For Lack of a Better Name (Virgin)
Sunday 04 October 2009
Dark as oil and just as shiny, the latest album from Canada's insanely prolific "self-confessed techno geek" Joel Zimmerman (his seventh in four years, depending on what you count) begins in vibrant form, gleefully turning every filter-house and vocoder electro cliché inside out.
Halfway through, it all goes wrong. Tracks five to 10 are dense, complex but deeply monotonous "intelligent techno", reminiscent of the moment in a club night when you realise the DJ's only bothered about entertaining himself.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world