Album: Grinderman, Grinderman 2 (Mute)
Friday 10 September 2010
Compared to their debut's howls of sexual frustration, this second offering from Nick Cave's Grinderman has moments of almost tender introspection, such as the eerie reminiscences of "What I Know", and bawdy humour, as in "Worm Tamer": "My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster – two great big humps, and then I'm done".
But it's every bit as surreally malevolent, from the galloping hell-hound riff of "Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man" to the diseased itch of the concluding "Bellringer Blues". Along the way, "Palaces of Montezuma" blends shuffling gait and harmonies in "Sympathy for the Devil" fashion, while the haunting violin of "When My Baby Comes" tracks the course from "Madame George" to "Sister Ray". It's tremendous stuff.
DOWNLOAD THIS Mickey Mouse and the Goodbye Man; Palaces of Montezuma; Evil; When My Baby Comes; Bellringer Blues
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch describes the 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene that will never happen
Downton Abbey season 5 episode 6 - review: Thomas and Lady Edith show sad signs of the times
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything