Album: Jesse Dee, Bittersweet Batch, (Munich)
Sunday 09 August 2009
White-boy retro-soul, long on attitude and stomp, short on subtlety.
And the question almost asks itself: are we talking Dexy's Midnight Runners or Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes? The answer, contrary to what you might expect (given that Dee is from Boston, not Wolverhampton), is Dexy's: the energy is antsy, the voice shrill, the horns choral. The writing, however, is workmanlike and although young Jesse is obviously meaning every word of it, man, the result is still an exercise in fevered mannerism. Nice try.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland