Album: Steve Mason, Monkey Minds in the Devil's Time (Double Six)
Saturday 16 March 2013
On paper, the ex-Beta Band man's latest pushes his eclectic impulse ad absurdum: think samples of Dante's Inferno, F1 racing and Tony Blair, raps about the riots alongside torch songs, and genre exercises from country to baggy.
But it's testament to his songcraft that it feels all of a piece: shuffling of gait and rich of melody, with personal and political upsets seamlessly elided. Throw in that lovely, drifting croon, and it's his finest hour yet.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 3 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 4 Rampaging elephant smashes up house but then 'saves crying baby trapped under debris'
- 5 Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to Arsenal and England striker