Album: Terry Callier, Hidden Conversations, (Mr Bongo)
Sunday 24 May 2009
Rare-groove legend TC goes trip-hop, with two songs co-written with Massive Attack's Robert Del Naja, who composes another, "Live with Me", himself.
As with most of Callier's work from the past decade, it's a mixed bag, older songs such as "Sunset Boulevard" matched by new material. The backings are a bit Massive-on-a-budget, with nothing as compulsive as Groove Armada's work on "Just My Imagination" from Total Recall. But the title track, "Jesse & Alice", and a Katrina song, "Rice and Beans", are great.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Three-quarters of Britons are saying it wrong - the top ten most common mispronunciations
- 2 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 3 Son attacks Apple after it refuses to unlock his late mother’s iPad
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 First Kiss video: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results