Tom Odell's Long Way Down is stuffed with bogus sensitivity
(ITNO / Columbia)
The first male artist to win the Brits Critics’ Choice Award, Tom Odell traffics in a form of earnest piano pop that will appeal to fans of Keane and Coldplay, but which shows few indications of ambition beyond emulating their style and success.
Long Way Down is stuffed with bogus sensitivity, crystallisations of emotional disquiet couched in chant choruses, and polite piano arrangements reliant on a few chord-changes. At their most imposing, there’s a brooding quality to songs such as “Can’t Pretend” and “Grow Old with Me” – whose theme, fidelity, is his most appealing lyric – though elsewhere an excess of distraught wailing overburdens songs notable mainly for the slightness of their romantic intent.
Download: Grow Old with Me; Can’t Pretend
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
- 3 Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
- 4 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 5 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Jessie Cave interview: Harry Potter's Lavender Brown has published a collection of feminist cartoons
Britain's best outdoor cinemas to visit this summer from Somerset House to Luna Cinema
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives