Upbeat: Venture over
Saturday 08 January 1994
Plans for the coming year included revivals of Therese Raquin, which toured earlier this season. Wilfred Judd, the Venture's founder and artistic director, said yesterday that they would try to pick up on particular projects. 'But I don't think there is any way we can float the whole Garden Venture off somewhere. I feel sorry mainly for the artists we have helped, and I hope people are going to stand up and object.' A letter will be sent to sponsors in a few days' time.
The Royal Opera House is shortly to seek applications for a new position of composer in residence, and will concentrate resources on producing contemporary opera at Covent Garden. 'It's not a case of sacrificing it in order to put Gawain on,' said a spokeswoman. 'The funding doesn't work that way.' New chamber operas may be presented elsewhere, possibly in partnership. ROH directors were yesterday at their annual out-of- house 'think tank' session and unavailable for comment.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'