PETER YORK ON ADS: No 102: POT NOODLE
The new Pot Noodle commercial addresses these characteristics most ingeniously. It makes a fat-free and fibrous claim in the terms and aesthetics of a Slob's Own home movie. A Welshman stands in front of a poster staring at a cartoon Pot Noodle character with the legend "This I must relate / as a source of fibre I'm just great." The Welshman launches into a speech about "Faffey foods" - he means fat-free; this pronunciation alone sells the ad. "This is what people who eat faffey foods act like
"But what people who eat Pot Noodle act like is this ... " Fat and thin stuff Pot Noodle into their faces in a Men Behaving Badly way and make orgasmic noises. Presenter: "How can Pot Noodle be faffey food? It's too gorgeous."
The known world shifts in this little home-movie which looks like Steve Coogan's cod Paul Calf video diaries - ie defiantly gross, playing with the brand's reputation, and introducing the notion that it is better for you than snobby foods bought by faddy idiots.
"But it's too gorgeous" means we know you like it and now you - and your mum - can feel good about liking it. It's positively post-modern, informed, a ready-made cult psychodrama for an unfashionable brand whose only way is up.
! Video supplied by Tellex Commercials.
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans