RESTAURANTS: ANYONE FOR OYSTERS?
Saturday 10 October 1998
Swedeland Court, 202 Bishopsgate, EC2 (0171-283 1763)
City lads' hangout with vaulted basement dining room and smart oyster bar.
125 Chancery Lane, WC2 (0171-404 6071) and Old Compton St, W1 (0171-437 2706)
Old-fashioned bars and restaurants with mannered clientele. Food is good, but atmosphere far too staid.
28-32 St Martin's Ct, WC2 (0171-240 2565)
Age-old theatrical haunt, with a dramatic velvet, wood and signed-photo- covered interior.
Bibendum Oyster Bar
Michelin House, Fulham Rd, SW3 (0171-589 1480)
Early Conran development still hard to beat on the style front. Notable for being packed at weekends with lunching-ladies assuaging hangovers with potassium fixes.
Arts & Ents blogs
Fancy seeing a play about serial killers? How about inviting a funeral director into your home for a...
There are a good many moments in the second episode of this psychological thriller that deserve refl...
The opening titles squeal ‘Never Can Say Goodbye…’. Oh Lord how I wish I could heave this series off...
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.