RESTAURANTS: ANYONE FOR OYSTERS?
Saturday 10 October 1998
Swedeland Court, 202 Bishopsgate, EC2 (0171-283 1763)
City lads' hangout with vaulted basement dining room and smart oyster bar.
125 Chancery Lane, WC2 (0171-404 6071) and Old Compton St, W1 (0171-437 2706)
Old-fashioned bars and restaurants with mannered clientele. Food is good, but atmosphere far too staid.
28-32 St Martin's Ct, WC2 (0171-240 2565)
Age-old theatrical haunt, with a dramatic velvet, wood and signed-photo- covered interior.
Bibendum Oyster Bar
Michelin House, Fulham Rd, SW3 (0171-589 1480)
Early Conran development still hard to beat on the style front. Notable for being packed at weekends with lunching-ladies assuaging hangovers with potassium fixes.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 3 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 4 Motorists taunt suicidal woman on bridge and tell her to 'get on with it'
- 5 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture