RESTAURANTS: ANYONE FOR OYSTERS?
Saturday 10 October 1998
Swedeland Court, 202 Bishopsgate, EC2 (0171-283 1763)
City lads' hangout with vaulted basement dining room and smart oyster bar.
125 Chancery Lane, WC2 (0171-404 6071) and Old Compton St, W1 (0171-437 2706)
Old-fashioned bars and restaurants with mannered clientele. Food is good, but atmosphere far too staid.
28-32 St Martin's Ct, WC2 (0171-240 2565)
Age-old theatrical haunt, with a dramatic velvet, wood and signed-photo- covered interior.
Bibendum Oyster Bar
Michelin House, Fulham Rd, SW3 (0171-589 1480)
Early Conran development still hard to beat on the style front. Notable for being packed at weekends with lunching-ladies assuaging hangovers with potassium fixes.
Potter's attempt to create an Essex Taj Mahal was a lovely treattv
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Games of Thrones actor Lena Headey makes emotional promise to her unborn daughter
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
Eurovision 2015: Graham Norton returns with another cutting commentary - his best lines
Eurovision 2015: The best moments from Australia's random entry to Lithuania's gay kiss
Clarkson, Hammond and May Live: Top Gear trio returns with a blend of fireworks, AC/DC and 'automotive pornography'
Eurovision 2015 winner: Sweden beats Russia and Italy to take the title from Conchita Wurst
Eurovision 2015: Estonia seemingly enters Louis Tomlinson from One Direction
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland