Soggy doggies go mainstream after portraits of wet dogs pick up Sony Photography award
It is a truly rebarkable spectacle
Tuesday 06 May 2014
'The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog', the American writer Ambrose Bierce once remarked.
And now the soggy doggy has achieved mainstream artistic status after the success of photographer Sophie Gamand in the Portraiture category at the 2014 Sony World Photography Awards.
Gamand's portraits of moist mutts, in a series of pictures called 'Wet Dog', are due to be published in a book out this autumn and capture the animals "exposed at a vulnerable and humiliating moment" as they "wiggle, shake, [and] haul themselves out of the groomer’s soapy grasp".
The pictures show a number of dampened dogs in images that reveal their characters and attitude (mostly unhappy) towards the dreaded bath time.
The photographs were captured just moments before the animals presumably soaked everyone in the room.
A selection of images from the 2014 Sony World Photography awards are currently on display at Somerset House.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture