The Critics: Videos
Sunday 20 June 1999
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (18) Terry Gilliam's adaptation of Hunter Thompson's drug-addled gonzo classic may have alienated viewers through its faithfulness to the source material, but Gilliam, who perfectly captures the speed- freak quality of Thompson's prose, has in fact fashioned one of the most audacious Hollywood productions in years - the film is indulgent, to be sure, but its very subject is indulgence. Playing Thompson (alias "Raoul Duke") and his sidekick Dr Gonzo are Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro: manic, quite convincingly stoned, and very funny.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 5 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Stock up on canned food for stock market crash, warns former Gordon Brown adviser
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn voters most likely to believe 'world is controlled by a secretive elite'