The Independent Recommends: Classical
Tuesday 29 September 1998
Wigmore Hall, London W1 (0171-935 2141) 7.30pm
The exciting young ensemble Psappha turns its attention to Frank Zappa (right), with four of the American iconoclast's key compositions which have been specially arranged for the group by Philip Cashian. Aside from the Zappa, there's also room for John Adams's recent quirky Clarinet Concerto, "Gnarly Buttons", with Dov Goldberg taking the solo line.
Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester (0161-907 5278) 7.30pm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin