The Independent Recommends: The Five Best Plays
Monday 13 September 1999
A seasoned company of 20-odd actors bring Gorky's anxious turn-of-the- century Russians to richly complex life. To 11 Nov
The Triumph of Love (Almeida, London)
Marivaux's tart comedy of serial seduction. Linda Bassett and Colin Stinton are hilarious as a repressed couple tricked into emotional abandon. To 25 Sept
Drummers (New Ambassadors, London)
Caustic black comedy about vengeful jailbirds from a new playwright, Simon Bennett who, having once served a sentence for burglary, knows what he's talking about. To 9 Oct
Timon of Athens (RSC, Stratford Upon Avon)
Michael Pennington shines as a violent but psychologically subtle Timon, in this remarkably witty and penetrating production (right). In rep to 9 Oct
Irma La Douce (Watermill Theatre, Newbury)
With this intimate theatre converted into a Parisian cafe, there's a cabaret atmosphere to John Doyle's rousing revival of this Fifties musical. To 25 Sept
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 David De Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper's £29m move to Real Madrid off - because paperwork 'not done in time'
- 3 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 4 Netherlands to withdraw food and shelter from failed asylum-seekers after just 'a few weeks'
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
X Factor hopeful Mason Noise: 'How is Cheryl Fernandez-Versini in the music business, let alone a judge on the show?'
Wes Craven dead: Why Johnny Depp owes his career to director’s 13-year-old daughter
Trevor Noah, Edinburgh Fringe review: New Daily Show host warms up in inspired style
VMAs 2015: You can already buy ‘Kanye West for president’ t-shirts
VMAs 2015: Taylor Swift and her buddy Kendrick Lamar clean-up at awards - full list of winners
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
UN investigating British Government over human rights abuses caused by IDS welfare reforms