The Infornmation on `Macbeth'
Friday 19 November 1999
Greg Doran's universally acclaimed, richly rewarding reading of Shakespeare's tragedy. The production manages to retain momentum throughout its 130- minute duration, which is played without an interval.
Who's In It?
Antony Sher, in the title role, gives a technically accomplished performance, and Harriet Walter is a ruthlessly unsentimental, supreme Lady Macbeth.
What They Say About It
"An object lesson in the difference between mere speed and exciting momentum... Doran's staging may cloak the stripped-back Swan Theatre in darkness but its own sane intelligence shines out from the hero's first appearance... Harriet Walter is the best Lady Macbeth I've seen since Judi Dench," Paul Taylor, The Independent.
"Hang out the banners! Stratford has come up with its best Macbeth since Trevor Nunn's legendary production a quarter of a century ago... Gregory Doran's version thrusts the play into a modern, militaristic society without diminishing its theatricality," Michael Billington, The Guardian.
"After Nigel Hawthorne's desperately disappointing King Lear, it is a real relief to find the RSC back in such strong form with this notoriously difficult play," Charles Spencer, The Daily Telegraph.
Where You Can See It
Macbeth is in rep at the RSC Swan Theatre, Stratford (01789 295623) to 18 Mar
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers