Barnz Munn: Meet the high-flier
Friday 19 July 2013
Fire performer, stilt-walker, rigger and, foremost an aerialist renowned for the art of counterweighting – the process of lifting people or objects by using a pulley system or their body weight – Barnz Munn wants to make everything fly, from his girlfriend Shaena, to Chinese poles and drum kits. “We use counterweighting for most of the lifting so when one person goes up, someone else comes down,” explains Munn, artistic director of nine-strong circus company Pirates of the Carabina,whose show Flown was first commissioned to headline the Big Top tent at Glastonbury two years ago. “It's become our trademark and we fly the equipment as well as the people.”
'Flown', the Fringe, Udderbelly, Edinburgh (www.underbelly.co.uk) 1 to 26 August
'At times I thought he was me'film
Review: One Direction, Fourmusic
Review: The World of Ice and Firebooks
Film More romcom than S&M
Review: The Imitation Gamefilm
Comedy...to show her mastectomy scars
TVNetflix gets cryptic
TV review A moving film showing kids too busy to enjoy their youth
Books Not even a Man Booker prize could save Richard Flanagan from a nomination
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services