Play of the week: The Ladykillers
Vaudeville Theatre, London WC2
Friday 19 July 2013
Back in the West End, Graham Linehan's inspired adaptation of the Ealing comedy converts William Rose's original screenplay into uproarious farce, fizzing with fresh gags.
Angela Thorne is a sweetly doddery Mrs Wilberforce, whose home a gang of criminals hide out in, posing as a string quintet, only to kill one another as they dither over dispatching her.
Sean Foley's production opens a nice vein of satire about how "creative" folk get away with murder. The replacement cast lack the lunatic flair of their predecessors but John Gordon Sinclair brings an attractively sarcastic Scots quizzicality to the criminal mastermind – and the comic material is indestructible.
To 26 October: 0844 412 4663
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >