A Scottish opening for the Black Swan choreographer
Alice Jones' Arts Diary
Edinburgh International Festival has scored a coup: the UK debut of LA Dance Project. The company is headed by Benjamin Millepied (pictured), known for choreographing the film Black Swan and wooing Natalie Portman, now his wife, in the process. His LA collective will be at Edinburgh Playhouse for three nights from 24 August, performing Moving Parts, a new urban ballet by Millepied, with music by Nico Muhly and costumes by Rodarte, alongside work by Forsythe and Cunningham.
Festival director Jonathan Mills signed them up as soon as they formed in September 2012 but has yet to see them dance. “When I was in LA shortly after Black Swan, I was aware that Benjamin was interested in capturing his golden moment. We all thought it a fantastic idea that in the city which has emanated so much dance through its film industry that a contemporary dance company should be established.” They will also appear at Sadler's Wells, in London, in the autumn.
Also in the arts diary:
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park