Alice Jones' Arts Diary
Marcus du Sautoy to make theatre debut in new play about the universe
The play will deal with 'an unconventional love story about variable X and Y'
Marcus du Sautoy is famous for bringing maths to the masses. As well as his lively BBC shows, the Professor for the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University has helped out behind the scenes at the theatre, advising on the best way to stage Christopher’s A-Level algebra problem in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and Complicite’s A Disappearing Number.
Now he will appear in a new play about known and unknown reaches of the universe at the Science Museum and Manchester’s MOSI next month. The show, “an unconventional love story about variable X and Y” stars du Sautoy as X and Complicite actress Victoria Gould as Y and will take place in a converted exhibition space.
It will be du Sautoy’s first professional acting role during which he will “disappear into a suitcase and try to cut an orange an infinite number of times”, I’m told.
Also in this week's arts diary:
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture