Norman Bates's mother finally gets her chance on screen
Alice Jones' Arts Diary
More Hitchcock! Hot on the heels of two films about the director, a new American mini-series will probe the twisted relationship between Psycho hotelier Norman Bates and his mother in Bates Motel.
The prequel, in which the pair move to California to open a hotel following the death of Norman's father, stars Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and Vera Farmiga (pictured) and starts on US cable channel A&E on Monday. From a writing team whose credits include Friday Night Lights and Lost, the 10-part series will plot how young Bates grew into a serial killer.
It is a “bizarre love letter between a mother and child”, Farmiga told the website Vulture. “It isn't trying to be Psycho or Hitchcock.” She watched Psycho for research but only found it useful as inspiration for her character's hairstyle. “There were just no clues as to who this woman may or may not have been.”
Also in the arts diary:
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
Arts & Ents blogs
Downton Abbey Christmas special 2013: New pictures released
Fifty Shades of Grey movie: Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson pictured in first scenes
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
Emma Stone: 'Dating Andrew Garfield makes living in LA a lot less fun'
Katie Hopkins mocks name of sick girl featured in X Factor charity appeal
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >