Sheridan Smith to host televised Olivier Awards
Tuesday 29 January 2013
Actress Sheridan Smith is to host theatre's biggest prize show, The Olivier Awards, as the event returns to mainstream TV for the first time in a decade.
Bosses of the annual ceremony have struck a deal with ITV to screen the show which is held at London's Royal Opera House.
Smith is a two-time winner at the Oliviers, landing the supporting actress prize last year for Flare Path and best actress in a musical for Legally Blonde in 2011.
She is also well known for her roles in Gavin And Stacey and last year's TV drama Mrs Biggs.
The Oliviers were broadcast last year by the BBC but the event was available only on the red button. Prior to that, it was last on TV in 2003 when it was shown by BBC2.
ITV will screen a highlights programme shortly after the ceremony - officially called Olivier Awards 2013 with MasterCard - on Sunday, April 28. And it will also be broadcast by BBC Radio 2, which is backing the audience award in which listeners can vote for their favourite show.
A free public event will also be staged simultaneously in the Covent Garden Piazza, close to the Opera House, where West End stars will perform on a Radio 2 stage.
Nominations are being announced on March 26.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world