Chat show? Don't do it, Cheryl!
In 2010, Michael Parkinson sounded off about the state of the modern chat show. "The trouble with the talk show is everyone fancies their chances," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Even those on the extreme fringes of the ever-expanding world of modern celebrity reckon it's a doddle."
So you can imagine his reaction to the news last week that Cheryl Cole was being offered a lucrative deal with Sky to host her own show. The channel was quick to quash rumours, but it is the second time this year that rumours of a Cole-fronted chat show have hit the internet. She might want to think twice before going down that path, as others perhaps ought to have done.
1. Lily Allen and Friends was on the box for just three months in 2008 and the star herself was the first to admit the show was "average".
2. Charlotte Church managed to spin her show out for three series between 2006 and 2008, although it did prompt some viewers to note that while she may have the "voice of an angel", she also had "a mouth like a sewer".
3. Although Clarkson, which ran from 1998 to 2000, didn't focus on cars, with the inclusion of wacky experiments and "banter" with guests, Jeremy Clarkson's chat show was certainly targeted at Top Gear fans.
4. David Dickinson fronted a talk show for ITV in 2010 but managed only one series before being cancelled amid rumours his interviewing skills were not up to scratch.
5. Despite being billed as the new Parky by the BBC, Davina McCall's 2006 chat show, Davina, was axed after eight episodes due to poor ratings (and decidedly C-list guests).
Film The critics but sneer but these unfashionable festive films are our favourites
TV We're so close to knowing what happened to Oliver Hughes, but a last-minute bluff crushes expectations
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Peter Lik: The self-proclaimed 'fine-art photographer' whose work sells for millions
The best underrated Christmas movies from Love, Actually to While You Were Sleeping
Grace Dent on TV: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies was a beautifully shot, immensely considered drama
The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies, review: Jason Watkins is brilliant, but real victim Joanna Yeates is reduced to a footnote
Marilyn Manson denies involvement in shocking Lana Del Rey rape video
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant