Chat show? Don't do it, Cheryl!
In 2010, Michael Parkinson sounded off about the state of the modern chat show. "The trouble with the talk show is everyone fancies their chances," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Even those on the extreme fringes of the ever-expanding world of modern celebrity reckon it's a doddle."
So you can imagine his reaction to the news last week that Cheryl Cole was being offered a lucrative deal with Sky to host her own show. The channel was quick to quash rumours, but it is the second time this year that rumours of a Cole-fronted chat show have hit the internet. She might want to think twice before going down that path, as others perhaps ought to have done.
1. Lily Allen and Friends was on the box for just three months in 2008 and the star herself was the first to admit the show was "average".
2. Charlotte Church managed to spin her show out for three series between 2006 and 2008, although it did prompt some viewers to note that while she may have the "voice of an angel", she also had "a mouth like a sewer".
3. Although Clarkson, which ran from 1998 to 2000, didn't focus on cars, with the inclusion of wacky experiments and "banter" with guests, Jeremy Clarkson's chat show was certainly targeted at Top Gear fans.
4. David Dickinson fronted a talk show for ITV in 2010 but managed only one series before being cancelled amid rumours his interviewing skills were not up to scratch.
5. Despite being billed as the new Parky by the BBC, Davina McCall's 2006 chat show, Davina, was axed after eight episodes due to poor ratings (and decidedly C-list guests).
GlastonburyWI to make debut appearance at Somerset festival
TV reviewIt has taken seven episodes for Game of Thrones season five to hit its stride
FilmPalme d'Or goes to radical and astonishing film that turns conventional thinking about immigrants on its head
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 School kitchen manager 'fired from Colorado school for giving hungry students free lunches'
- 2 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 Amber Peat: Body found in search for missing 13-year-old who left house after argument with her parents
- 4 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
- 5 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
Game of Thrones season 6: George RR Martin doing 'anything he can' to get new book The Winds of Winter out before next HBO series airs
Game of Thrones, Battle of Hardhome: 20-minute Wildlings versus White Walkers battle took a 'solid month' to film
Game of Thrones season 5 episode 9, The Dance of Dragons: Jon Snow returns to The Wall after epic Battle of Hardhome
Touch-screen Teletubbies say hello: Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po are back, now with smart technology
Black Angel: Long lost Star Wars precursor to be made into crowdfunded feature film
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers