Benefits Street: Working couple filmed 'extensively' were cut from final episodes
Unnamed couple claim they were filmed for a year by series producer Love Productions but were cut from episodes because they were employed
A working couple living on James Turner Street who claim they were filmed "extensively" for a year for Channel 4 series Benefits Street were cut from all final episodes of the programme.
BBC's Radio 4 Today programme spoke to the couple, who said after being filmed for 12 months, they were told they would not be featured in the programme.
"Why was a working couple on the street filmed extensively for a year", they asked, "to be told that the number of episodes had been cut from six to five and we were meant to feature in the sixth?"
Kieran Smith, the creative director of series maker Love Productions defended the show, telling Today he was "incredibly proud five million people are watching and talking about this series".
He said the unnamed working couple were not included in the final cut not because they were working, but because one of them is a benefits assessor and felt "uncomfortable" appearing on the show.
He said: "We have lots of people in the series coming up in future episodes who work or who are trying to get into work," adding that one employed resident would be one of the main characters in programme four.
He also told Today his production company was "very upfront and very clear" with residents on the street "that this was a series about benefits", in response to claims by residents they were lied to.
Mr Smith said residents were not told what the series would be called because he "didn't know that it would be called Benefits Street then".
A live debate on the divisive programme will now be held during a break in the series, a public meeting at the Oasis Foundry Academy was told last night.
About 100 people attend the meeting chaired by head teacher Emma Johnson, where residents gave their views on the show.
People were given post it notes to write their feelings about Channel 4.
One resident told The Birmingham Mail: “This is not a community of scroungers, we are a good community. Channel 4 need to take this programme off the air."
Channel 4 said the live debate will be hosted by presenter Richard Bacon and would be aired on 10 February at 10pm.
Arts & Ents blogs
'The Full Monty' stage play to close in West End after only a month - despite Olivier Awards nomination
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Game of Thrones star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on acting one-handed and why Jaime Lannister is really not so bad
Halle Berry's role in X-Men: Days of Future Past cut down to one scene
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli says she wants to see more male nudity in the show
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers