David Bradley to play first Doctor Who as BBC gears up for An Adventure in Space and Time
The BBC is planning the celebrations for the 50th birthday of one of its most successful and enduring shows: Doctor Who.
Part of the schedule will be BBC Two drama An Adventure in Space and Time. The one-off, feature-length show tells the story of the show's beginnings, set when it first aired on 23 November 1963.
And now the corporation has revealed a picture of David Bradley (above) playing William Hartnell - the first ever Doctor - in the show.
Sydney Newman - who was then the BBC's head of drama and is credited with the show's creation - is played by Brian Cox, who appeared in the Bourne trilogy. And Call The Midwife star Jessica Raine will portray the producer, Verity Lambert.
Mark Gatiss, who appeared in the third series of Doctor Who as the rejuvenated body of an ageing scientist, has written the show and will be executive producer alongside long-time Who boss Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner.
Gatiss said: “David Bradley brings every ounce of his talent, humour and presence to the role of William Hartnell. It's a wonderfully touching and subtle performance and I'm immensely proud of both him and the film.”
The show is due to air some time in November, with an exact date to be set later in the year.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict