Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
The Time of the Doctor will air on Christmas Day
New pictures from the Doctor Who festive special have been released, showing some of current Time Lord Matt Smith’s final scenes.
The BBC will air The Time of the Doctor on Christmas Day, with Smith starring alongside companion Jenna Coleman, who plays Clara.
Coleman recently spoke of her co-star’s “brutal” exit from the sci-fi drama.
“I knew it was going to be sad, but it was really traumatic,” she said. “It was very emotional and overwhelming.”
New Doctor Peter Capaldi, best known for playing the sweary communications chief in The Thick of It, will make his official debut as the 12th incarnation in the Christmas “regeneration” episode, written by Steven Moffat.
“Matt leaves, Peter arrives in his costume and the scene carries on,” Coleman added. “You just keep going – that’s the show.”
Past Doctor’s in the ever-changing cast include Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston and the nation’s chosen favourite, David Tennant.
Steven Moffat dropped some clues about 55-year old Capaldi’s first full appearance on the show, telling press at the Doctor Who 50th anniversary celebration that the actor “leaps around the place” in “post-regeneration madness”.
“He’s an extraordinarily vital and physical performer,” the writer said.
Arts & Ents blogs
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
White people become less racist just by moving to more diverse areas, study finds
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
- 1 To those who can’t see the point of International Women’s Day: you are the very reason it exists
- 2 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it