Dominic West's new role: Fred West
Tuesday 18 January 2011
Dominic West, who starred in The Wire, is set to play serial killer Fred West in a new ITV drama.
Appropriate Adult will centre on the time between the Gloucester builder's arrest and his suicide in a prison cell on New Year's Day in 1995.
The role has been won by the murderer's 41-year-old English namesake, best known for his role as Detective Jimmy McNulty in The Wire, the gritty HBO drama series.
The two-part ITV drama will focus on how Fred West, who was awaiting trial for killing 12 young women and girls, confided in Janet Leach, the voluntary worker who sat in on his police interviews. She will be played by Emily Watson, a star of Gosford Park and The Life and Death of Peter Sellers.
Fred West's wife, Rosemary, who was convicted in 1995 of 10 of the murders, including that of her own daughter, will be played by Monica Dolan, who appeared in ITV's DCI Banks: Aftermath. Filming is to begin next month in Manchester.
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict