Maggie Gyllenhaal to star in BBC2 spy thriller The Honourable Woman
Friday 28 June 2013
Oscar-nominated Hollywood actress Maggie Gyllenhaal is to star as a high-flying businesswoman in a new BBC spy thriller.
The actress, who starred in Batman film The Dark Knight, will play the lead role in The Honourable Woman.
Her character, Nessa Stein, is the daughter of an arms dealer who enters the House of Lords after years of charity work in the Middle East, only to become caught up in an international conspiracy with the secret service at her heels.
She said: "I couldn't put the scripts down. Nessa is such an exciting and intricate character. I can't wait to begin filming."
The BBC2 show, written by Shadow Line creator Hugo Blick, starts filming this year and will be shown next year.
Polly Hill, head of independent drama for the BBC, said: "Maggie Gyllenhaal will be a perfect Nessa Stein, and I am delighted that she has agreed to play her.
"Hugo Blick has created a complex character in Nessa, with an extraordinary story and the combination of Hugo's stunning scripts and Maggie Gyllenhaal in the lead role is an exciting and powerful combination."
Gyllenhaal, whose brother Jake starred in Brokeback Mountain, was nominated for the best supporting actress Oscar in 2009 for her performance in Crazy Heart.
Arts & Ents blogs
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Lady Gaga attacked by Noel Gallagher in 2013 music rant
Sir Elton John lashes out at Russia’s anti-gay laws in Moscow show
Doctor Who Christmas special 2013: New pictures released of Matt Smith's finale
Grace Dent on TV: Imagine – Who’s Afraid of Machiavelli?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >