Simon Cowell plans hands-on return to 'my baby' X Factor
Monday 25 March 2013
Simon Cowell has said he will have a more hands-on role on The X Factor as he considers it to be his "baby".
The star quit the panel to work on his US version of the show and has not been a judge for the past two years but in an interview with Hello! magazine he promised he would be coming back.
Last year's series - won by James Arthur - saw a massive slump in viewers and programme bosses have been looking at ways to rekindle the audience's interest in the show.
Cowell, who will be back on screens next month with the return of Britain's Got Talent, said: "I'm definitely getting more involved and will have a role in the next series.
"I'm not going to lie - I do miss doing it, because it's like my baby.
"It's been difficult the last two years not being on the show as I always had a great time and the last time that I did do it, it was such a brilliant year. So at some point of course I'm going to come back and do the show."
He spoke to the magazine at a fundraising event for children's charity Shooting Star Chase at the Dorchester Hotel in London attended by the Duchess of York, Phillip Schofield, JLS, Peter Andre and X Factor star Jahmene Douglas.
Cowell said that it was preparing to attend the event which led to him posting a number of emotional messages on Twitter hours beforehand.
"I think it played on my mind when I was sending the tweets, sometimes you have those nights, and it was a marathon work session on the phone as well, where afterwards you fall straight asleep or lie there thinking.
"And I was thinking I had a lot to be thankful for. Even if I didn't have what I have materially, I haven't got a sick child," he said.
The full interview is in the latest edition of Hello! magazine, which is out now.
Arts & Ents blogs
St Patrick’s Day 2014: The worst Irish accents in film history
Under The Skin, film review: Scarlett Johansson is full-blooded as femme fatale alien
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your endless scrolling
Lord of the Flies is still a blueprint for savagery
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli says she wants to see more male nudity in the show
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Malaysia flight MH370: Pitbull song lyrics bear uncanny resemblance to missing plane mystery, according to YouTubers
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers