United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by Iain Softley
Tuesday 11 March 2008
Hackers (1995) follows the misfortunes of the young hackers Dade Murphy ('Crash Override'/'Zero Cool'), Kate Libby ('Acid Burn') and their friends.
A young boy is arrested by the US Secret Service for writing a computer virus and is banned from using a computer until his 18th birthday. Years later, he and his new-found friends discover a plot to unleash a dangerous computer virus, but they must use their computer skills to find the evidence while being pursued by the Secret Service and the evil computer genius behind the virus.
Jonny Lee Miller … Dade Murphy / 'Crash Override' / 'Zero Cool'
Angelina Jolie … Kate Libby / 'Acid Burn'
Jesse Bradford … Joey Pardella
Matthew Lillard … Emmanuel Goldstein / 'Cereal Killer'
Laurence Mason … Paul Cook / 'Lord Nikon'
Renoly Santiago … Ramon Sanchez / 'Phantom Phreak'
Fisher Stevens … Eugene Belford / 'The Plague' / Mr. Babbage
Alberta Watson … Lauren Murphy
Darren Lee … Razor
Peter Y. Kim … Blade
Ethan Browne … Curtis
Lorraine Bracco … Margo
Wendell Pierce … S.S. Agent Richard Gill
Michael Gaston … S.S. Agent Bob
Marc Anthony … S.S. Agent Ray
- Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie were married shortly after the making of the film, and then were divorced four years later.
- The director auditioned Hilary Swank, Heather Graham and Liv Tyler for the role which ultimately went to Angelina Jolie.
- The part of Kate "Acid Burn" Libby was originally offered to Katherine Heigl, but due to prior commitments to Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995) had to turn it down.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Jessica Chastain demands Scarlett Johansson-fronted Marvel superhero movie
Downton Abbey series 5 start date revealed: ITV drama to return in late September
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
How to read Will Self: Unlike 'talented mediocrity' George Orwell, you must approach this writer dictionary in hand
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming in September 2014
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain