United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Directed by Sylvester Stallone
Monday 03 March 2008
Rocky III (1982) is the third installment in the Rocky movie series. Rocky's opponent is Clubber Lang, played by former bodyguard Mr. T. Lang is a younger and more aggressive boxer than Rocky. He is brash, outspoken, and charismatic. The part made Mr. T an icon, leading to him being one of the first elements outlined for The A-Team television series. The film also features professional wrestler Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea as the supporting character "Thunderlips". The role brought Hogan to a widespread audience.
After beating Apollo Creed and become World Heavyweight Champion, Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) is enjoying his boxing and top lifestyle, being everyone's idol. After 10 successful title defences under his name and even a charity fight draw with World Wrestling Champion, Thunderlips (Hulk Hogan), Rocky believes he has nothing more to prove and is ready to retire. But boxing brawler Clubber Lang (Mr. T) becomes the No. 1 contender and demands a match with Rocky for the Title. Rocky has too much pride to reject Lang, and trains with Manager Micky for his bout with Lang. But before the match, Rocky and Clubber get into a bust-up backstage and Micky is badly hurt. Rocky goes into his fight very worried about Micky who is being treated by a doctor as Rocky fights without a manager in his corner. Lang brutally beats Rocky, and after the fight, a battered Rocky falls into depression after the death of Manager Micky and does not have the confidence to challenge Lang to a re-match. But Former Champion Apollo Creed is the only man able to persuade Rocky to offer a rematch, and after Lang accepts the challenge, Creed trains Rocky. Rocky must now try to forget about his last brutal bout with Clubber, and try to regain the title and the confidence of everyone, and also try to get back the "eye of the tiger". Can Balboa win his Title and dignity back?
Sylvester Stallone .... Rocky Balboa
Talia Shire .... Adrian
Burt Young .... Paulie
Carl Weathers .... Apollo Creed
Burgess Meredith .... Mickey Goldmill
Tony Burton .... Duke (Apollo's Trainer)
Mr T … Clubber Lang
Hulk Hogan … Thunderlips
Ian Fried … Rocky Junior
Al Silvani … Al
Don Sherman … Andy
- The fight sequence between Rocky and Thunderlips took 10 days to film.
- Before settling on the film's signature song of "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, Sylvester Stallone wanted to use the already hit song "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen.
- The size difference between Thunderlips and Rocky is not exaggerated for the movie –Hulk Hogan stands 6'6" tall and Sylvester Stallone is but 5'10". Mr. T is also 5'10" tall.
Arts & Ents blogs
St Patrick’s Day 2014: The worst Irish accents in film history
Grace Dent on TV: EDL Girls: Don’t Call Me Racist BBC 3
Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your scrolling
Chalkie Davies' stunning rock photographs: The Clash, Springsteen, Bowie and more
Game of Thrones star Sibel Kekilli wants more male nudity in the show
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Best films on Netflix: 32 movies that will put an end to your scrolling
- 3 Istanbul protesters take 'Ellen selfie' from the back of a police van
- 4 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Jet ‘hijacking’ began soon after take-off
- 5 Lady Gaga has struggled with eating disorders in the past, so it's indefensible that she's glamourising bulimia in her SXSW set