United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
Written by Woody Allen & Marshall Brickman
Monday 31 March 2008
Sleeper (1973) A clarinet player who also runs a health food store is frozen and brought back in the future by antigovernment radicals in order to assist them in their attempts to overthrow an oppressive government. When he goes off on his own, he begins to explore this brave new world that has Orgasmatron booths to replace sex and confessional robots. Director Woody Allen
Writer Woody Allen (written by) and
Marshall Brickman (written by)
Woody Allen... Miles Monroe
Diane Keaton... Luna Schlosser
John Beck... Erno Windt
Mary Gregory... Dr. Melik
Don Keefer... Dr. Tryon
John McLiam... Dr. Aragon
Bartlett Robinson... Dr. Orva
Chris Forbes... Rainer Krebs
Mews Small... Dr. Nero (as Marya Small)
Peter Hobbs... Dr. Dean
Susan Miller... Ellen Pogrebin
Lou Picetti... M.C.
Jessica Rains... Woman in the mirror
Brian Avery... Herald Cohen
Spencer Milligan... Jeb Hrmthmg
- Woody Allen had originally hoped to shoot much of the film in Brasilia, Brazil's futuristic capital city complex designed by urban planner Lucio Costa and architect Oscar Niemeyer. Budget limitations however restricted him to using locations within the continental USA.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Stall talk: The arcane rules of chit-chat that take place in the gents'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen