United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
The Night of the Hunter
Directed by Charles Laughton
Wednesday 19 March 2008
(1955) Harry Powell (Robert Mitchum) marries and murders widows for their money, believing he is helping God do away with women who arouse men's carnal instincts. Arrested for auto theft, he shares a cell with condemned killer Ben Harper (Peter Graves) and tries to get him to reveal the whereabouts of the $10,000 he stole. Only Ben's nineyearold son, John and fouryearold daughter, Pearl knows the money is in Pearl's doll and they have sworn to their father to keep this secret. After Ben is executed, Preacher goes to Cresap's Landing to court Ben's widow, Willa (Shelley Winters). He overwhelms her with his Scripture quoting, sermons and hymns, and she agrees to marry him. On their wedding night he tells her they will never have sex because it is sinful. When the depressed, confused, guilty woman catches him trying to force Pearl to reveal the whereabouts of the money, she is resigned to her fate but the children manage to escape downriver, with Preacher following close behind.
Davis Grubb (novel)
James Agee (screenplay)
Robert Mitchum... Harry Powell
Shelley Winters... Willa Harper
Lillian Gish... Rachel Cooper
James Gleason... Birdie Steptoe
Evelyn Varden... Icey Spoon
Peter Graves... Ben Harper
Don Beddoe... Walt Spoon
Billy Chapin... John Harper
Sally Jane Bruce... Pearl Harper
Gloria Castillo... Ruby (as Gloria Castilo)
Corey Allen... Macijah Blake, young man in town (unaccredited)
Paul Bryar... Bart, prison guard (unaccredited)
Cheryl Callaway... Mary (unaccredited)
Michael Chapin... Ruby's boyfriend (unaccredited)
Mary Ellen Clemons... Clary (unaccredited)
Kathy Garver... Child (unaccredited)
John Hamilton... Townsman who greets Rachel (unaccredited)
Gloria Pall... Dancer (unaccredited)
- Charles Laughton had no great love for children and so despised directing them in this film that Robert Mitchum found himself directing the children in several scenes.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell