United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
Directed by Norman Jewison
Thursday 28 February 2008
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) stars Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. The basis for the film was Eric Ambler's 1962 novel, The Light of Day . It was nominated for two Academy Awards for Original Music Score and Best Song.
Thomas Crown, a young, handsome millionaire pulls off the perfect crime by having five men rob a bank and dump the money in a trash can, which Crown retrieves later and stores in a Geneva bank. Vicki Anderson, an independent insurance investigator is contracted to look into the heist. As she digs deeper into the case she begins to suspect Crown's involvement. In an attempt to get closer she begins seeing Crown socially, openly telling him she is investigating him.
Steve McQueen ... Thomas Crown
Faye Dunaway ... Vicki Anderson
Paul Burke ... Det. Lt. Edward 'Eddy' Malone
Jack Weston ... Erwin Weaver
Biff McGuire ... Sandy
Addison Powell ... Abe
Astrid Heeren ... Gwen
Gordon Pinsent ... Jamie McDonald
Yaphet Kotto ... Carl
Sidney Armus ... Arnie
Richard Bull ... Booth Guard
Peg Shirley ... Honey Weaver
Patrick Horgan ... Danny
Carol Corbett ... Miss Sullivan
Tom Rosqui ... Pvt. Detective
- Of all of the films that Steve McQueen made in his career, this is reported to have been his favourite.
- Sean Connery had been the original choice for the title role but declined, a decision he later regretted
- The one-minute kissing sequence between the two leads took eight hours to film over a number of days.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
newsThat most ancient of crimes is on the rise, threatening farmers' livelihoods, community trust – and human health
Arts & Ents blogs
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
Tom Daley ‘is gay because his father died’ says UK evangelist
Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
Anachronistic and iniquitous, grammar schools are a blot on the British education system
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 North Koreans are gasping for the truth: Let's give it to them
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- < Previous
- Next >