United Artists at 90 Short Film Competition
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
Directed by Norman Jewison
Thursday 28 February 2008
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) stars Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway. The basis for the film was Eric Ambler's 1962 novel, The Light of Day . It was nominated for two Academy Awards for Original Music Score and Best Song.
Thomas Crown, a young, handsome millionaire pulls off the perfect crime by having five men rob a bank and dump the money in a trash can, which Crown retrieves later and stores in a Geneva bank. Vicki Anderson, an independent insurance investigator is contracted to look into the heist. As she digs deeper into the case she begins to suspect Crown's involvement. In an attempt to get closer she begins seeing Crown socially, openly telling him she is investigating him.
Steve McQueen ... Thomas Crown
Faye Dunaway ... Vicki Anderson
Paul Burke ... Det. Lt. Edward 'Eddy' Malone
Jack Weston ... Erwin Weaver
Biff McGuire ... Sandy
Addison Powell ... Abe
Astrid Heeren ... Gwen
Gordon Pinsent ... Jamie McDonald
Yaphet Kotto ... Carl
Sidney Armus ... Arnie
Richard Bull ... Booth Guard
Peg Shirley ... Honey Weaver
Patrick Horgan ... Danny
Carol Corbett ... Miss Sullivan
Tom Rosqui ... Pvt. Detective
- Of all of the films that Steve McQueen made in his career, this is reported to have been his favourite.
- Sean Connery had been the original choice for the title role but declined, a decision he later regretted
- The one-minute kissing sequence between the two leads took eight hours to film over a number of days.
BBC Trust agrees to axe channel from TV in favour of digital moveTV
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 2 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 3 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 4 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
- 5 The Greece debt crisis explained in less than 100 words
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Chronixx interview: Reggae sensation on taking the opening spot at Glastonbury and calling Barack Obama a 'waste man'
Game of Thrones season 6: Director Jack Bender says showrunners 'communicate closely' with George RR Martin
Top Gear: Jeremy Clarkson 'can't front ITV motoring show' due to BBC contract clause
Amy Winehouse film: Mark Ronson praises 'respectful' movie as it scores highest ever UK opening for British documentary
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts