Day In a Page
Wednesday, 11 December 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Michael Ryle: House of Commons Clerk who played a key role in establishing departmental Select Committees
- George Ortiz: Collector whose inherited fortune allowed him to assemble an array of hundreds of the finest pieces of their kinds
- Chris Howland: Broadcaster, singer and actor who left Britain and found lasting fame on German TV and radio
- Fred Waters: Second World War veteran who earned a Purple Heart and went on to take pictures in Korea and Vietnam
- Paul Aussaresses: General who fought in the Algerian war for independence and in retirement was tried for defending the use of torture
- John Vickers: Oilman whose Christian faith gave him the belief that industry should be a moral force in society
- Eleanor Parker: The Baroness in 'The Sound of Music' who specialised in playing characters who were sad, flawed or despicable
- Private Edward Heffron: Private with Easy Company whose wartime exploits were recorded in the HBO series 'Band of Brothers'
- Roland Paoletti: 'The Medici of London Transport' whose Jubilee Line Extension is regarded as a masterpiece of design
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- It will be a while before Britain follows Uruguay’s approach to drugs
- Give MPs their pay rise - and cut the number in the Commons
- Poverty is the defining problem of our age
- The easiest way to get rich quick is to work for the banks and badger the vulnerable to buy insurance
- Don't rely on wishful thinking to bring about a better world. Get your own hands dirty
- A selfie? On Cameron and Obama's part, this memorial snap was just plain shabby
- Amazing elephant anatomy
- Pope Francis named Time Magazine's person of the Year: The new spiritual leader on the block
- The cold grips Syria's refugees in Lebanon. They cannot be left to freeze
- As a Muslim, I oppose gender segregation in universities. But its advocates have every right to their opinion
- Male and female flight attendants don't do different jobs, so why make women wear a sexy uniform?
- Pretty ornaments, despicable slaughter: The ugly truth behind that eye-catching piece of ivory
- i Editor's Letter: Waking up in the dark is bad for you
- The Liberal Democrats are not lurching to the left or the right
- Scientology: If religions don’t need a God, what do they need?
- We want women to sit at boardroom tables – but we also fetishise motherhood
- Won’t the proponents of free schools ever see that they just might not be right?
- Elephant Appeal: Where is your money going?
- Has Manhattan lost its mojo?
- Gay sex ban in India is an absolute travesty
- Kids aren't less likely to achieve because of iPads
- If you thought it was trivial to care about putting a woman on a bank note, #feministtenner will prove you wrong
- If our politicians were brave enough, or even simply rational, they would follow Uruguay's lead and legalise cannabis
- It isn't enough just to be appalled by Imperial's rat beheading lab methods
- World leader super-selfie at a memorial service: am I the only grown up left?
- PMQs: Inspired by Mandela, Cameron wanted to forgive his opponents
- Playing the EU off against Russia will not help Ukraine in the long term
- Why do female scientists receive less funding?
- Obama and Cameron's selfie was a human moment. Let's not castigate them for it
- Political Takeout: What does Mandela's death say about British politics? And was 2013 a bad year for feminism?
- i Editor's Letter: Race for the North Pole
- As Ukraine looks to the European Union for guidance, it is right to fear Russia’s plans for its smaller neighbour
- A £28m fine imposed on Lloyds shows how far banking went wrong – and gives hope for the future
- Mobile phone companies are slow to reform
- Standards in our GP surgeries are not high enough
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The Ashes: The century men: Captains Alastair Cook and Michael Clarke in Test landmark
- Ian Bell on the Ashes 2013-14: We know we've let ourselves down – however there'll be no shortage of fight from us in Perth
- Ashes 2013/14: 'Hard part is staying at the summit,' says former Australia coach John Buchanan
- Ashes 2013/14 third Test: Is Waca on the way out?
- Ashes 2013-14: Jonny Bairstow provides a timely reminder with EPP century with England's batsman misfiring against Australia
- The Ashes 2013-14 podcast: An audio preview of the Third Test in Perth
- Ashes 2013-14: England captain Alastair Cook admits his side have talked a good game but now need to produce in Perth
- Ashes 2013-14: James Faulkner ruled out with broken thumb but Australia captain Michael Clarke remains hopeful on Ryan Harris
- The Ashes: Sir Ian Botham left embarrassed by England team's decline
- The Ashes: Andy Flower key to England revival, says Adam Gilchrist
- Ashes 2013-14: England's hunger to prove doubters wrong will see them come out fighting in Perth, claims wicketkeeper Matt Prior
- Ashes 2013-14: Andy Flower insists England have not lost hunger, despite going 2-0 down in series
- Trio return for England women's Ashes defence
- F1: Sergio Perez joins Force India for 2014 after leaving McLaren meaning there is no room for Paul Di Resta
- McLaren and Force India miss early tyre test
- F1: Lotus mock rule changes with 18 proposals of their own, including 'Any drivers named Sebastian Vettel will complete their own pit stops without assistance from their mechanics'
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Sony fans who received free PS Vita threatened with legal action
- Australian state announces 'sexting' laws
- Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- Nasa gives its space-faring robot assistant a pair of legs
- Ring of power: the Smarty Ring lets you control your smartphone from your finger
- Norway to digitize all books and offer them as free downloads
- South Korea considers law to classify online gaming as a potentially antisocial addiction
- Xbox One sales surpass 2m worldwide announces Microsoft
- Nokia's 'Normandy' handset: an Android smartphone to boost the low-end market
- Chinese scientists 'increasingly confident' about invisibility cloak after making a cat disappear
- Mars One: the dream of a reality-TV funded colony in space gets closer
- Foodini: the £835 machine that 'prints' food in your kitchen
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Video: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones trailer
- Video: Edge of Tomorrow trailer
- Video: Interview with Will Ferrell on Anchorman 2
- Video: Cavalry trailer
- Video: Interview with Paul Rudd at Anchorman 2 premiere
- Video: Interview with Steve Carell on Anchorman 2
- Video: Anchorman star Steve Carell hijacks Daybreak weather report
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- A spell of fog exposes lack of resilience in Britain's aviation infrastructure yet again
- Deals of the week - festive shopping in London, design hotel in Portugal,Christmas in Austria
- Get me out of here - spa in Andalucia, sun in the UAE, ski in the Milky Way
- Is compensation due after the IT collapse at air-traffic control?
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Maybe it worked? 'Cops off campus' demo passes off peacefully
- Outcry at 'gender apartheid' in new guidance for UK universities
- Thousands of students attend 'cops off campus' demo - with police so far nowhere to be seen
- A brief history of student protest: From 'no women at Cambridge' in 1897 to 'cops off campus' in 2013
- Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- American student 'attacked in Cambridge by thugs who thought he looked like Harry Potter'
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist