Day In a Page
Tuesday, 21 July 2009
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Gordon Burn: Writer whose work ranged from highly original novels to accounts of the lives of serial killers
- Frank McCourt: Late-flowering writer whose book 'Angela's Ashes' set in train the genre of 'misery memoirs'
- Arturo Gatti: Boxer whose blood 'n' guts style made him a leading attraction
- Felipe Solis: Archaeologist who assembled one of the world's greatest collections of Pre-Colombian artefacts
- Jim Reid: Folk singer who celebrated the culture of north-east Scotland
- Randy Cain: Founder member of the Philly soul group the Delfonics
- Obits in Brief
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Paddy Ashdown: What we must do to win this war in Afghanistan
- Andy Gill: The competition's worst nominees ever
- Simon Calder: There's no better time to be a passenger
- Nicholas Jones: Bank reform will never work unless you tackle the accountants
- Lisa Markwell: There could be a bright side to the flu crisis...
- Jaap de Hoop Scheffer: Nato is a 21st-century alliance with a 20th-century mindset
- Diane Abbott: Stop talking. Start delivering...
- Hugh Pope: EU support is needed for Turkey to progress
- Simon Calder: Choose your airline carefully – and relax
- Vince Cable: Some banks have not acknowledged their near-death experience
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Pietersen ruled out of Ashes series
- Flintoff seizes his moment of history
- Flower: 'We need to plan for next Test without Pietersen'
- James Lawton: Watson shows our Ashes gladiator how to handle his precious talent with care
- England's titan has Australia on rocks
- Captains face battle to see who can hold nerve longest
- Jayawardene hits back for Sri Lanka
- Lee doubtful for third Test
- Flintoff warning to jubilant England
- Spirit of the game restored by Ponting
- Former Pakistan selector calls for Warne Ashes comeback
- Australia hit by fresh fears for Lee's return
- 'It's not much fun facing Fred in the nets either'
- Ponting admits his men have work to do with bat and ball
- Australian angle: Clarke comes of age in a fading side
- Angus Fraser: His destiny fulfilled, this may prove to be Fred's last stand
- Bell 'desperate' for call to Ashes
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 'Necrophilia-obsessed' girl among double murder accused in three-way sex case
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve