Day In a Page
Thursday, 1 August 2013
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Fewer resources, greater stress, more disasters: Climate change linked to violence among people and societies
- Problems with your partner's sleep patterns? How the night owl and early bird can get into sync
- Be nice. Evolution will punish you if you’re mean and selfish, says study
- Astronaut Karen Nyberg follows in the footsteps of Chris Hadfield with Twitter pictures from space
- Hyper cam captures stunning image of Andromeda
- Romanthony: DJ and producer who sang for Daft Punk
- Ilya Segalovich: Computer pioneer whose internet search company predated Google
- Wendy Woods: Activist who with her husband, Donald, struggled against apartheid
- Eileen Brennan: Actress best known as the sandpaper-voiced captain in ‘Private Benjamin’
- Henri Alleg: Journalist who fought for Algerian independence
- Berthold Beitz: Industrialist who saved hundreds of Jews from the Nazis
- Phil Woosnam: Footballer who became a pioneer for soccer in the US
- Harry Byrd, Jr: US senator who fought against desegregation
- Hugh Maguire: Violinist who led the BBC Symphony Orchestra
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Lewisham hospital will stay open - but only the lawyers have true cause to celebrate
- Think how good the House of Lords could be
- Errors and Omissions: Stop before you put the words ‘national’ and ‘treasure’ together
- According to Ofcom, we’ve rediscovered watching TV in the living room – but it’s not what it was
- In a culture still rife with homophobia, Liverpool FC's 'banned words' list should be welcomed
- Tales from The Water Cooler: Any vacancy for an Ice Cream Tsar?
- Twitter or toasters: if we don’t like what they bring to our lives, we can simply shut them out
- This week's big questions: Has the Edinburgh Fringe grown too big? Has Twitter gone too far?
- Tim Key: ‘I’ve never been a big festival goer. At 15, I was more likely to help varnish a boat’
- MP or Time Lord – the key criterion should be talent
- Man about town: Whoah! We're going to Ibiza
- Theresa May's Stop and Search for illegal immigrants is only a tactic to win votes
- Like Al Capone, tax proves the downfall for Silvio Berlusconi, the 'man who never dies'
- Is an open relationship the antidote to cheating?
- Like Joan Littlewood at Stratford, there should be more statues of cultural greats to inspire us
- Lessons from the tortured life of Daniel Pelka
- Behold the mythical 'Anti-Feminist'!
- Thatcher and Reagan may have seemed like equals. His invasion of Grenada shows they were not
- WW1: Let us remember - whether enemy or friend
- Without ‘Zoo’ magazine, how would anyone know I'm a sex object?
- If all our politicians play it safe, who’ll be a Tony Benn 30 years from now?
- One thing Ryanair got right - charging extra for needless hand luggage
- Simon Cowell is having a baby with the wife of a close friend - but he remains as inscrutable as ever
- Don’t knock Ryanair – it’s created a revolution in air travel that we should all be celebrating
- 5:2 is just the latest: Britain’s diet industry is worth £2 billion, so why do we buy into it?
- Ladies, Armpits4August is here. So let's take part
- Four everyday activities you didn't know were bad for you
- 1 in 12 have taken a sneaky picture of an attractive stranger, so who else do you photograph?
- Woman charged with criminal damage for painting fence: what do you row with your neighbours about?
- McDonald's remove their branding for ads in France: can you name these products?
Environment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The Ashes third Test day two match report: Aggressive Australians keep turning the screw
- Ashes 2013: Old Trafford Day Two - the best bits
- Ashes 2013: Joe Root and Tim Bresnan fall as Australia take total control at Old Trafford
- Ashes 2013: Old Trafford Day One - the best bits
- Ashes 2013: England v Australia 3rd Test – as it happened
- James Lawton: So, how will England react to Australia's first serious counterpunch?
- James Lawton on the Ashes: Classy Michael Clarke brings Ashes series back from the precipice
- Ashes 2013: Frustrated England toil as Michael Clarke displays class
- The Ashes: Dopey cameo from David Warner inspires Roses rivalry truce
- The Ashes: Graeme Swann puts some positive spin on Tim Bresnan's blunder
- John Townsend: Michael Clarke's majesty highlights the yawning chasm in batting order
- Easy to tip Ballance for England after Gary's latest ton for Yorkshire
- Ashes 2013: Third Test, Day Two in pictures
- Ashes 2013: England v Australia 3rd Test – as it happened
- Ashes 2013: The day Australia fought back in the series
- John Townsend: Chris Rogers haunted by Old Trafford ghost but proves he belongs
- Ashes 2013: Controversial umpire decisions of the 2013 series...so far
- Ashes 2013: Third Test, Day One in pictures
- County Championship round-up: Is Luis Reece the consistent opener Lancashire have been searching for?
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Edinburgh 2013 review: Birthday Girls: 2053, Pleasance Courtyard
- Edinburgh 2013 review: David Baddiel - Fame: Not the Musical, Assembly George Square
- Edinburgh 2013 review: Fleabag, Underbelly, Cowgate
- Edinburgh 2013 review: Andrew Lawrence: There Is No Escape, Pleasance Courtyard
- Edinburgh 2013 review: The Confessions of Gordon Brown, Pleasance Courtyard
- My Edinburgh: Wardens playwright Darren Richman on why dying is easy, but comedy is hard
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Money RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Britain in debt: Half of UK adults 'living on financial edge'
- Money Alert: Granny credit
- Mark Dampier: China's growth goals catch investors' eyes
- Kate Hughes: Having older relatives move in may hit ordinary families
- Five Questions About: Holiday car hire
- Kate Hughes: It's time to battle PPI culture rather than vilify bankers
- Kate Hughes: My bonds quest is all about the past
- Donald MacInnes: Admission impossible? Not with the right ID
- Questions of cash: Dispute over unwanted laptop appears to be at an impasse
- Can the EU really deliver power to the people?
- Bargain Hunter: Galactic setting for concert extravaganza
- Derek Pain: Brewery joins ranks of those celebrating a very yeasty year
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'