Day In a Page
Wednesday, 1 January 2014
News RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Beirut rocked by powerful car explosion
- Antarctica: Helicopter rescue mission begins
- UK: Zoo’s annual animal stocktake
- London and Chester Zoo’s annual animal stocktake
- The annual New Year's Day Polar Bear Swim
- The annual Polar Bear Club celebrations
- Coney Island Polar Bear Club
- The 125th annual Rose Parade in California
- Coney Island Polar Bear Club dip
- James Avery: Star whose role as Uncle Phil in the American sitcom 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' won him fans worldwide
- Sally Vincent: Interviewer with a flair for getting to the heart of her celebrity subjects, and an ear for a well-turned phrase
- Wayne Harrison: Liverpool signing whose promising career was thwarted by serious injury at home and on the pitch
- Peter Zollman: Scientist who worked on the Channel Tunnel and translated into English the verse of his native Hungary
- Geoffrey Wheeler: The face of 'Songs of Praise' and 'Top of the Form' and deviser of the gambling game show 'Winner Takes All'
- Janet Dailey: Author whose determined heroines inspired her many readers to make more of their own lives and careers
- John Fortune: Comedian and author best known for collaborations and sketches that poked fun at the powerful and self-important
- Marta Eggerth: Star of light opera regarded as the definitive 'Merry Widow' who inspired film and stage directors alike
- Bob Allison: Eurovision contestant who was fielded as one half of the British answer to the hitmaking Everly Brothers
Voices RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Call out the troops to deal with McCluskey and Co? Not any more
- You can’t fault rail fare increases, which commuter doesn’t want this luxury form of travel?
- Elephant Appeal: Few are willing to say just how bad the poaching crisis is
- Prince William the visiting scholar: Nice university course if you can get it
- Doctor Who to Sherlock: TV franchises now have such devoted followings that casual viewers are alienated
- PJ Harvey on the ‘Today’ programme: A radical and refreshing take on a radio staple
- Is our withdrawal from Afghanistan the answer to our prayers for peace?
- Richard Haass’s talks will not have failed if Britain accepts it must now get real on Northern Ireland
- i Editor's Letter: Obsessed by sharks
- In China, you don't have to look far to find illegal ivory
- Unhappy? Just blame immigrants!
- How Ed Miliband can harness the right's tactics to bring in a wave of left-wing populism in 2014
- Strawberries in winter? Welcome to franken-season
- Why a career is no longer for life
- Make a New Year's resolution to vote for the party you most believe in
- What climate action can we expect in 2014?
- Creating a porn filter is one thing, creating a transparent and functional one quite another
- We need more wage rises at the lower end of the scale
- As another storm threatens, the reality of climate change is starting to hit home
- By legalising marijuana, Colorado is blazing a welcome trail
- It is Unionist cowardice that is largely to blame for the failure to reach an agreement in Northern Ireland
Sport RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- The Ashes 2013-14: Alastair Cook looks to rookie Scott Borthwick for twist in the tale
- Testing times for the long game of cricket
- Ashes 2013-14: Green Sydney wicket could force changes for Michael Clarke as the Australia captain targets whitewash
- New Zealand's Corey Anderson blasts fastest century in history of one-day internationals
- The Ashes 2013-14: Matt Prior should be back in the team, says Michael Clarke
Life and Style RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Arts and Entertainment RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Travel RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
Student RSS Feed - click to grab the feed
- Unemployed young people feel they have 'nothing to live for'
- King’s College London terminates contract of lecturer who set up legal firm to help students challenge exam results
- Cambridge University librarian battles Home Office to allow his Chinese wife to stay in Britain
- The academic fat cats: Vice-chancellors at Britain's top universities get £22,000 pay rises – as lecturers are stuck on 1 per cent
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Labour Party conference: Ed Balls to set out plan to freeze child benefit to balance books
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 3 What are your fingerprint words?
- 4 Gary Lineker involved in Twitter row after presenter rubbishes claims he will be warned by BBC over foul-mouthed tweets
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years